We are upgrading all Simula One units to 13th Gen i7 Raptor Lake processors (formerly: 12th Gen Alder Lake).
1 Camera Boards
First, we wanted to show off some freshly assembled Simula One Camera Boards, which recently arrived from PCBA (used for Simula's AR Mode):
We're currently working on bringing them up, which is taking a bit more time than anticipated.
2 Intel NUC Discontinuation
We have decided to stop direct investment in the Next Unit of Compute (NUC) Business and pivot our strategy to enable our ecosystem partners to continue NUC innovation and growth. This decision will not impact the remainder of Intel’s Client Computing Group (CCG) or Network and Edge Computing (NEX) businesses. Furthermore, we are working with our partners and customers to ensure a smooth transition and fulfillment of all our current commitments – including ongoing support for NUC products currently in market. (Source: Intel)
In case there's any doubt, we just wanted to confirm that this discontinuation only affects future NUC platforms, and so won't affect the Simula One. In fact, because Intel recently released their 13th Gen NUCs, we are able to offer the small 12th Gen to 13th Gen upgrade to all outstanding Simula One units.
3 New Compute Specs Comparison
An overview of our new (vs. old) compute specs:
|Old Compute Specs||New Compute Specs|
|Alder Lake (12th Gen)||Raptor Lake (13th Gen)|
|CPU||12th Gen Intel Core i7-1265U||13th Gen Intel Core i7-1365u|
|Cores||10 Processor Cores (2 “Performance Cores” + 8 “Efficiency Cores”)||10 Processor Cores (2 “Performance Cores” + 8 “Efficiency Cores”)|
|Threads||12 threads||12 threads|
|Cache||12MB L3 Cache||12MB L3 Cache|
|TDP||12W ~ 28W TDP||12W ~ 28W TDP|
|CPU Frequency||P-Cores: 1.8GHz ~ 4.8GHz Turbo; E-Cores: 1.3GHz ~ 3.6GHz Turbo||P-Cores: 1.8GHz ~ 5.2GHz Turbo; E-Cores: 1.3GHz ~ 3.9GHz Turbo|
|Memory Capacity||16 GB LPDDR5||16 GB LPDDR5|
|32 GB LPDDR5 (Founders Edition & Upgrades)||32 GB LPDDR5 (Founders Edition & Upgrades)|
|Type of RAM||LPDDR5||LPDDR5|
|RAM Frequency||5200 MT/s||6000 MT/s|
|RAM Transfer Speed||83.2 GB/s||96 GB/s|
|GPU||Iris Xe graphics||Iris Xe graphics|
- Cores. 13th Gen CPUs retain the 8 "Efficiency Cores" (or "E-Cores") plus 2 "Performance Cores ("P-Cores").
- Threads. Only the 2 P-Cores are hyperthreaded (supporting 2 threads per P-Core), while the 8 E-Cores remain single-threaded. This comes out to 12 threads in total (
(2 threads * 2 P-Cores) + (1 thread * 8 E-Cores) = 12 threads).
- CPU Frequency. Intel processors run at variable CPU frequencies, depending upon power availability and performance requirements. The new E-Cores run at a base frequency of
1.3 GHz, but can be turboed up to
3.9 GHzwhen needed. The P-Cores run faster:
1.8 GHzbase frequency, or up to
5.2 GHzwhen turboed.
- RAM. The upgrade retains LPDDR5 memory. Founders Edition and RAM upgraded headsets will retain doubled memory capacity (from 16GB to 32GB).
- Graphics. The new CPU continues to use Intel Iris Xe for integrated graphics.