We are upgrading all Founders' Edition headsets to Alder Lake processors + 32GB LPDDR5 RAM (formerly: Tiger Lake + 16GB of LDDR4X). Regular edition headsets will likely also receive the CPU upgrade, with the option to upgrade to 32GB of RAM.
New Compute Specs
An overview of our new (vs. old) specs:
|Old Compute Specs||New Compute Specs|
|Tiger Lake (11th Gen)||Alder Lake (12th Gen)|
|CPU||11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7||12th Gen Intel Core i7-1265U|
|Cores||4||10 Processor Cores (2 "Performance Cores" + 8 "Efficiency Cores")|
|Threads||8 threads||12 threads|
|Cache||12MB L3 Cache||12MB L3 Cache|
|TDP||12W ~ 28W TDP||12W ~ 28W TDP|
|CPU Frequency||1.2 GHz ~ 4.70 GHz Turbo;||P-Cores: 1.8GHz ~ 4.8GHz Turbo; E-Cores: 1.3GHz ~ 3.6GHz Turbo|
|Memory Capacity||16 GB LPDDR4X (Regular Edition)||16 GB LPDDR5 (Regular Edition)|
|16 GB LPDDR4X (Founders Edition)||32 GB LPDDR5 (Founders Edition)|
|Type of RAM||LPDDR4X||LPDDR5|
|RAM Frequency||4266 MT/s||5200 MT/s|
|RAM Transfer Speed||68.3 GB/s||83.2 GB/s|
|GPU||Iris Xe graphics||Iris Xe graphics|
|WiFi||Wi-Fi 6 (Intel AX201)||Wi-Fi 6e (Intel AX211)|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth 5.2||Bluetooth 5.2|
- Cores. Our i7 upgrade boosts cores from 4 to 10, but splits them up into 8 "Efficiency Cores" (or "E-Cores") plus 2 "Performance Cores ("P-Cores").
- Threads. Only the 2 P-Cores are hyperthreaded (supporting 2 threads per P-Core), while the 8 E-Cores remain single-threaded. This comes out to 12 threads in total (
(2 threads * 2 P-Cores) + (1 thread * 8 E-Cores) = 12 threads).
- CPU Frequency. Intel processors run at variable CPU frequencies, depending upon power availability and performance requirements. The E-Cores run at a base frequency of
1.3 GHz, but can be turboed up to
3.6 GHzwhen needed. As you'd expect, the P-Cores run faster:
1.8 GHzbase frequency, or up to
4.8 GHzwhen turboed.
- RAM. The upgrade to LPDDR5 memory boosts our maximum transfer rate from
83.2 GB/s, for a
21.8%boost. Founders Edition headsets will also double memory capacity from 16GB to 32GB, which should come in handy.
- Graphics. The new CPU continues to use Intel Iris Xe for integrated graphics. The faster LPDDR55 memory should provide a graphical boost as well.